Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Young Review: The Importance of Being Earnest

Man, what a show. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

For those of you who don't know Oscar Wilde, I pity you. I had no idea who he was until my freshmen year when we put on a play at Auburn call "Lady Windermere's Fan." I didn't read the play in its entirety until our first read through (Sorry Daydrie! I was a freshmen, what can I say), and I never thought a play written about Victorian society could be so funny. Little did I know the wit that could hide in mere words.

This show exemplifies what I would want to see as pure entertainment. The story, for those of you who don't know, revolves around two young bachelors pretending to be people they eventually turn out to be anyway (That's the [abridged] short version. Oh yeah, and the name Ernest serves and ironic purpose). As far as ethics, morals, and the reality of the human condition goes, this play has very little to say. I mean sure, you could root around and pull all kinds of ideas and themes and theories. But to me, its a play simply about how ridiculous people can be within the confines of Victorian society.

And that, to me, is where this play finds its substance. This piece has to be performed in a very styalized manner complete different from the naturalism/realism of modern american theatre. Watching actors work within the confines of Victorian movement, RP British dialects, and period costuming is in and of itself a work of art. The precision of the language (in addition to working beautifully through audience responses) was simply masterful (Although I did witness my first line flub on broadway. It was only a small one).

By far the most impressive performance belonged to the deservingly Tony nominated Brian Bedford, who performed Lady Bracknell with poise, power, and precision. His vocal variety and hijinks provided many a laugh, and his portrayal of a powerful feminine character brought out the best in his fellow acts. Even more impressively, he also directed the play. His masterful work as both Actor and Director did a great deal to bring this classic piece to life and relevance for a modern audience. ***** out of *****

No comments:

Post a Comment